The caring professionals at The Other Side Treatment Center (TOS) are committed to help the entire family and not only the patient directly affected by the addiction. An important part of our treatment protocol at TOS is family counseling. The optimum environment for a recovering patient is to have a fully supportive family unit.
Often the impact on families is not properly considered. The experts at the National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA) said it well “Drug use puts a lot of stress on parents, brothers and sisters, grandparents—anyone who is part of the home.
When family members take drugs:
- You can’t count on them to do what they say they will do.
- They may forget or get distracted because their focus is on getting and taking drugs.
- They might lie or steal money to buy drugs.
- They might get fired from their jobs.
- They might not come home at night.
- They may do bad things they would never do if they weren’t using drugs.”
Family members might fight a lot because of the problems the drug use is causing. The person who is using drugs might do and say things that upset neighbors and friends, and make the family ashamed.
Without the total support of the family we run the risk of the patient reverting to the same unhealthy environment, the same unhealthy relationships, and the same scenarios that contributed to the opiate problem in the first place.